Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Now Lets Start The Show

To the few that may ever glance at this; Welcome. This is my first blog post of what is hopefully  (if I succeed at sticking to it) just one of many. I plan to discuss hip-hop on a variety of levels and topics, and from different angles. However, being raised in New York, and being a full-out New York hip-hop fan, I am going to be biased towards my state. That does not mean I won't talk about hip-hop outside the tri-state, but it does mean that it will be my primary focus. 


As I begin to slowly create this blog, and make my first post, I stumbled upon a new Kanye track entitled, "Devil in a New Dress." I still haven't got back into Kanye since I became a hater after his album, "808's & Heartbreak" (and no, I wasn't crazy about Power, and I hated that "artistic" video he TRIED to pull off) but I can't lie, this song is going to get me back into his music.







"Put your hands to the constellations. 
The way you look should be a sin, 
you my sin-sation"

The beat is classic Kanye; dope sample, dope drums. But what I've been missing from the Louis Vuitton Don is that old "feel-good" music he used to drop on us when he first came on the scene. This reminds me of that. I pray for his rebirth.

Now I can't say it is hotter than Kanye's, but I was shortly after put-on to J.Cole's version of the track and I couldn't help but feel like his version entitled, "Villematic" may overshadow Kanye's. Cole slowly continues to be one of my favorite new rappers. Although he isn't from NY he did attend St. John's University, so he was SCHOOLED IN NY. For me, he kills it with this opening line...



"To the college kids, no scholarships
starting your semester.
Unpacking your suitcases, filling up your dresser.
Enjoy it while you got it, after that it’s God bless ya.
Life is your professor, know that b-tch is gon' test ya."

And Continues to kill it with more lines that a college kid like me can't help but love right now. 

"Why Ya'll was browsin', I was takin' out them student loans.
Tryna do this shit better than the niggas that we grew up on.
Name a fuc-in song I ain't threw up on.
Talk is cheap it's like y'all grew up in a jewish home."

Both are definitely about to stay on blast in the hoop-T for the next few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment